How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22620
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I am a property owner, and have a share of a freehold. Their are 5 flats in the bul

This answer was rated:

Hello I am a property owner, and have a share of a freehold. Their are 5 flats in the buliding and we have building insurence. My downstaris neighbour has complained of off and on leaks from our bathroom. I have had numerous plumbers in, sealed the bathroom, and they have found no evidence of what causes the leak.

I have taken action, have also told the property agents about it.

I want to know my rights if the tenent below decides to sue me for property damage.

Is their any type of additional insurence I can take out

Thank you Nadine
Is there indeed a leak?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not consistantly, last time this happened was 5 months ago. This time all the infomation I have is that it could be related to the heating as the water was hot and it has stopped leaking now.

I can appreciate that they have not found evidence of what causes
the leak but have they actually found evidence of a leak.?

I need to know whether there is a leak or not, however infrequent
or spasmodic it may be

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, last night their was a leak. their ceiling


this is what the neighbour wrote to me



Your bathroom at the back leaked all last night into my apartment and has damaged the floorboards and the ceiling above.

If it has done that, there must be some evidence in the upstairs flat.

Water does not leak out of a flat and cause damage to the one underneath unless it causes some kind of evidence where it has leaked from .


You are going to have to establish where the leak comes from in order to be able to fix it and also to be able to establish that it is coming from a pipe or fitting that you are responsible for .

I assume that your plumbers have removed copious floorboards around where the leak is coming through the ceiling .


I was for many years in the building trade so I know quite a bit about the construction of buildings

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I can find no evidence unless I rip apart my bathroom.


My question is legally, on whom does the onus lie.


Building insurence, i.e the building as we are talking about the pipes potentially, or me?



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI I just need to understand the onus from a legal point of view. Of course if I rip up my bathroom I might find a leak. But then I would have to fork out payment for this.


I might also find that the leak is in the pipes, and then logically the cost is for the building to fix it




The leaks must come from pipes that you are responsible for and
which serve the flat exclusively for you to be responsible. If the leaks come
from your pipes, then you are responsible.


If they come from pipes which do not
serve the flat exclusively or which you are not responsible for (unlikely under
the floorboards ) then you are not responsible for them.


the leak is going to be either in the
bathroom fittings or the pipes and as I said earlier, if the pipes exclusively
serve your flat , it doesn't matter whether they are under the floor, they are
your responsibility and not that of the freeholder.


it is not a case of ripping the
bathroom apart, it is a case of taking up the floorboards ( which will have
been up before because there are pipes underneath ) in the location vertically
above where the leak is , to ascertain where it is coming from.


if it is not coming from your bathroom,
then it would only be coming from the bathroom above, and in that case, there
would be ample evidence of it running completely through your flat.


If it is not coming from your bathroom but coming through a wall
for example and running through your bathroom and then out through the ceiling,
then you have a claim yourself against wherever the leak is coming from.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make sense.
It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.


Stuart J and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions