How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34272
Experience:  25 years exeperience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived with my partner for 2 years with my two sons and her

This answer was rated:

I lived with my partner for 2 years with my two sons and her 3 sons, she now wants me to leave but I have know where to go at this moment in time. The house is in her name but I have contributed to household since I moved in. She told me last night to be out by this afternoon.

Do I have any rights?
Thank you for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are you children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My sons are 17 and 11
Hi Nigel
What financial contribution have you made to the house?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since moving in 2 years ago I have fully contributed to the household each money, that money went towards paying mortgage and bills. But I'm not on the mortgage
How much have you paid each month?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I give her £1100 each month
How much was the mortgage payment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure exactly but I think around £800 per month
Given you personal relationship you are entitled to "Reasonable notice in writing" to leave - at least two months given that there are children involved.
If she does simply change the locks on you then you are entitled to apply to the court for an order allowing you to return there for a few weeks whilst you rehouse yourself
Whether that will be successful will depend on what other housing options are open to you.
Sadly it is unlikely that you have any financial claim on the property as she will be able to argue that what you paid was simply a going rate for rent and bills for the three of you
However disappointing I hope that this is of assistance to you - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you