How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33008
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, This is a question on behalf of my fiancée. To cut the

This answer was rated:

Hi, This is a question on behalf of my fiancée. To cut the story short, she had to go to court to solve a dispute over her previous home, which she had bought with her now ex-husband. The judge ordered the house to be signed over to her dependent on the mortgage company. She has engaged a solicitor in the same firm that dealt with the divorce and also handled the court proceedings. Said solicitor contacted the bank regarding the transfer of deeds and they arranged for a remortgage solely in my fiancée's name, for which she has been accepted.

Now the problem is that the bank has engaged another solicitors to deal with the remortgage, and she has received several forms from the banks solicitors. One of these forms was regarding the transfer of deeds stating that they would deal with this, and after talking to the banks solicitors they insist that they should deal with the transfer of the deeds rather than the company we have already agreed to go with. What should we do (our own solicitor isn't being very helpful with this either insisting that the bank needs to contact her)?

Thanks for your question. Please remember to RATE once you get my answer.

Fundamentally it is her choice who she wishes to act on her behalf and equally the Bank are able to instruct solicitors to act regarding the remortgage (they have panel solicitors these days) and she will ultimately be charged for the work which they do pursuant to the terms of the mortgage. It may thus prove cheaper in the long run (although she should check this) for the Bank's solicitors to do the transfer - although the choice remains hers in the end.

Please rate
Thomas Judge and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you