How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70217
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and two friends have a signed contract to rent a flat

This answer was rated:

My son and two friends have a signed contract to rent a flat with a moving in date of 14th Sept 2013. The landlord now needs the property 'for a few weeks for his parents' . Two of the boys have had to give notice on current accommodation so will be homeless. Can the landlord do this?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What type of contract did they sign please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



12 MONTH Tenancy Agreement

Thanks for the information.

Of course the landlord cannot lawfully do this but the fact remains that he is seeking to do so.

The landlord is locked into an AST and he should not be seeking to vary it.

That said though, he is seeking to do so. You can seek a mandatory injunction forcing him to let them move in but its not cost effective to do that and it might be refused.

A more effective alternative is to damages for their actual loss. If he has only just told them then they have 14 days to find accommodation elsewhere. That might be possible in your area or it might not. It might be that they cannot find accommodation at a suitable cost or they incur additional transportation expenses. They can claim at the small claims court for their costs actually incurred if they exceed what they would have incurred anyway - for instance, they cannot claim the cost of rent because they would have had to pay that anyway but if they have to accept a higher rent the different might be recoverable.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions