UK Property Law

Get UK Property Law Questions Answered by Experts

UK Property Law

my moped was repaired on saturday the bike shop replace a engine

part i got call telling...
my moped was repaired on saturday the bike shop replace a engine part i got call telling me the bike was ready at about 5pm i pick up the bike drove home i notice the bike was running abit fast the shop was getting ready to close so i did not go back i want to work iam a carer my last job was at 8 till 8 30 i starterd the bike and it shoot off draging me into a car i hurt my knee and toe and forarm i was on the floor for a few mins got myself up and made my way home. next bike drove ok got home then i parked went in my home for a hour came back out to start my bike turned the push elect botton and i could fell the bike pulling away from me before i used the accelrater i have paid 300 ponud for work done and now this what can i do.
9/1/2013
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

Did you have these problems before the moped went to the garage?

no sir i went to the garage because the bike was just loseing power after driveing for 2 mins or so. after them looking at the bike they phoned me and said engine has seized up labor and parts 300pounds

Did you suffer any injury or damage when you fell off?

yes my left knee is cut and knee cap is brusied my right toe was hurt but its ok today i have taken pics of knee and scratchs on bike aswell i now hobbal down stairs but walking on flat ground is ok i used stairs to get in and out of my house

OK.

It sounds like you may have a claim against the garage for personal injury and for their bad workmanship. But it will be down to you to prove that the accident occurred as a result of a mechanical problem for which the garage is responsible and not your bad driving.

You need to take the following steps:

1. Because you fell off the moped and collided with a car you need to report the accident to the police. The law is that where damage is caused as a result of an accident, the driver has to stop and give his details to the other party or report the matter to the police within 24 hours. Failure to do this is a criminal offence.

2. You also need to report the accident to your insurance company especially as the owner of the car might make a claim against you for any damage caused. If your moped has been damaged you might decide to make a claim for repair so your insurer needs to know about this.

3. I also suggest that you should have the moped inspected by an expert as soon as possible to see if there is a mechanical defect. You will only have a claim against the garage if you can prove that the moped went out of control because of a mistake made by the garage.

4.Also you need to get your injuries looked at either by a hospital or your GP.

5. Once you have taken these steps you should go and see a solicitor about making a claim. They should be able to do this on a 'no win no fee' basis. The solicitor will contact the garage about your claim and getting the moped fixed.

Hope this helps. Happy to discuss further.

Alex

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Alice H
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner