How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70508
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently had a tenant to my property move out without paying

This answer was rated:

I recently had a tenant to my property move out without paying his last month rent. We did not have a written tenancy agreement, only verbal and when he came to moving out he wanted to give only 13 days notice. We agreed he would move out in one week as I could get somebody else in. A month has gone by and he still hasn't paid my last month rent and I was wondering were I stood taking him to a small claim court?


Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How much does he owe please?

Do you have his address ? Don't give it to me but do you have it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I don't although I know his employee and could possibly get it.


He owes rent of 394 and a outstanding electricity bill of 90 so 484.




Yes, you could claim at the small claims court. It will be very cheap to issue against him. You can do so here

However, you will need his address.

If you are going to get his address anyway then it might be better to send him a letter before action giving him 14 days to pay and warning of your intention to sue. Sometimes they work and sometimes not but since they are free to send its worth a try.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks i'll try that just to double check I have texts off him showing he knows of the debt, previous bank statements and council tax bills showing he occupied the property then so I would surely win? and what is the smallest notice period by law you can give in a verbal term agreement.?

Yes, its very unlikely that you would lose.

Was he living in your own house sharing amenities with you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that's correct

You just need to give him 28 days notice.

He is just a lodger and they need very little notice.
Jo C. and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you