How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a commercial building that is split into several small

This answer was rated:

I own a commercial building that is split into several small units. A friend of mine is a property developer. He has bought a building do demolish and develop the site. There was a dial a curry business trading from the property that need to be re-housed. I have concerns that when they move in to my building other tenants might move out and I might not be able to re-let them because of the smell of Indian food. My friend has agreed that if any of the property is empty he will pay the rents and rates until I can let it. We would like an agreement drawn up for this please. I am happy to pay for the service. We need it carrying out quite fast, please
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could you please explain what you would like the agreement to cover?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

All the offices have set rents and rates and are currently full. I would like a legal agreement that we both sign, that states if the property is empty and the agents tell me that its because of the Dial a Curry Mr James Jennings will pay the rent until the property is let. Mr Jennings is going to make a great deal of money on the development and his tenant can't find anywhere suitable to move into, hence Jim has offered to cover the rents, if the situation arises., while the tenant is in the property. Dave Davies

we cannot draft the agreement for you because it is beyond the scope of questions and answer site however we can tell you the pitfalls. Do you want to continue on that basis?

if so, I need to know the relationship between his building and your building and why he is concerned about letting your building and why any tenant would offer to pay your rent.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no relationship between the properties. He has found it very hard to find a suitable property and I have one. He is going to make a lot of money from developing the property that they currently trade from. Unfortunately it appears you are unable to help me, unless you can recommend a company that can help me ?



you are at liberty of course to not provide a home for the curry business.
If you let me know where you are based, I will tell you if I know anyone in that area.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am based in Oxford

I’m sorry, I don’t know any firms down there.
You can search for a solicitor by specialism and by postcode on the Law Society website
Stuart J and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you