How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner and I split up 6 years ago. I added his name to

This answer was rated:

My partner and I split up 6 years ago. I added his name to my mortgage and I bought the house initially and have always paid the mortgage. The mortgage company won't release him from the mortgage and this is preventing him buying his own house. We have remained friends and I feel awful that he cannot buy a house as his name remains on mine. He doesn't want anything out of my house for himself financially. As I am self employed the mortgage company won't let me take on the mortgage myself. He is happy to take his name of the title deeds etc. Any advice?
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

How long ago was he added to the mortgage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay - I am just digging out the paperwork


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He was added to the mortgage in November 2004.


He left the property in April 2006

The news is probably not going to be very good for you.
Even if he took you to court, even the court cannot order a lender to remove a person from the mortgage if they do not think that the remaining person would be good enough for mortgage purposes. Clearly, criteria has changed since 2004/2006 and whilst you may have other mortgage then, obviously, they will not consider you on your own now.
You therefore have two options. 1 is to try to mortgage the property with another lender in your sole name. In this respect, don’t try the high Street lenders but see a mortgage broker who will have access to far more mortgage schemes. They will usually charge a small fee of about £250.
If that proves fruitless, then the only avenue open to you is to sell the house.
I’m sorry, I appreciate that this is not the answer you wanted but there is no point in me misleading you. I have a duty to advise you truthfully and honestly even if that answer is unfavourable. I can also tell you that I have been involved with mortgages and property for the last 20 years in the legal profession and for 12 years of arranging mortgages before that, so I like to think that I am a little more experienced in this than most.
Does that answer the question?
Can I answer any specific points or clarify anything?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Rating doesn’t close the enquiry at all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to read and ask for further clarification.
Stuart J and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you