How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32986
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Edited question

This answer was rated:

I'm going away for a few months on a research post and I'm letting a friend stay in my room for some of the time in which I'm away, as she's having a bit of a tough time at the moment and has no other place to stay. I won't be taking any money from her during this time. I have an assured shorthold tenancy agreement, which specifies that I'm not allowed to sublet the property. I was wondering whether allowing someone to stay in my room counts as subletting even if I'm not taking any money from them, and therefore whether the landlord would have grounds to evict me?  


If it helps, the clause from the agreement reads: 'The Tenant will not transfer this tenancy or, sublet, charge or part with or share possession of the whole or any part of the Accommodation, take in lodgers, or share occupation of the Accommodation with any person, other than an overnight guest for a maximum stay of 3 consecutive nights'


Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What are the dates on your contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



1st July 2013-31st June 2014

I am sorry. That post was meant for a different question.

This isn't my area so I will pass this onto another expert for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Long silence, worried that no-one's working on the question (nothing to do with the original expert herself)
Thanks for your question. Please remember to RATE once you get my answer.


I am afraid that from what you have written this would constitute a breach of the tenancy unless you can obtain the landlord's permission. This would constitute a form of subletting.

Please RATE
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32986
Experience: award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Thomas Judge and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you