How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is wanting to move back into your property before the end of

This answer was rated:

Is wanting to move back into your property before the end of a fixed term tenancy agreemnt grounds to serve notice, even before the end of the agreement?

Did you make the tenant aware before they signed the tenancy that you may wish to move back in to the property during the fixed term?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I did not - I must admit that I always just presumed you could take back your property if you needed it


Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that in these circumstance you would not be able to serve a s8 notice to obtain possession before the end of the fixed term.

There is a ground that you could have used to serve a notice under s8 Housing Act 1988 if you had served a notice on the tenant before they signed the tenancy agreement that you may require possession before the end of the fixed term, but if you did not do this then you cannot now rely on the ground to get possession.

The ground you would have used would have been s8 ground 1 of the Housing Act 1988. There is technically an ability for the court to dispense with the service of notice prior to the tenancy being execute but it is almost never actually dispensed with.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you