Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Can I trim my neighbours hedge on my side back to the boundary,

Can I trim my neighbours hedge on my side back to the boundary, even if this action involves removing the trunk plus branches.
Also, because my neighbour planted parts of hedge on my property are they responsible for dealing with the removed items.
Finally, all boundary hedges/fences are defined as joint responsibility in the Land Registry documentation, but the hedge in question was planted unilaterally some years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

You're entitled to cut back any branches and the trunk if they together overlap into your boundary/airspace.

Max Lowry :

It doesn't matter what is in the land registry about this, unless you consent to the tree/branches etc. coming into your property, then cannot. And you're entitled to take steps to have them removed.

Max Lowry :

I hope this answers your question. If you need further information, either now or later, just let me know and I'll gladly help out.

Please do remember to rate my answer as highly as you can for me. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-s8am15wc- :

Thanks for your wonderful service, but just a quick supplementary...

Max Lowry :

Yes, of course.

JACUSTOMER-s8am15wc- :

Thanks for your wonderful service but just a quick supplementary. Can I return the removed items to the person who put them there or must I have the unwanted job of disposing of them ??

Max Lowry :

No, you can (and in fact, should) return the unwanted items to your neighbour. This avoids any suggestion of theft then. So, what you're just doing is abating the trespass.

Max Lowry :

Max Lowry :

Please do remember to rate my answer, and if you need more general information in the future, do just let me know, and I'd be more that happy to try and answer your questions.

Hello. It was reported to me that you could not see the chat response. I have therefore switched the mode, to question and answer, which should allow you to see the post.