How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I write to ask advice about harassment..............basically

This answer was rated:

I write to ask advice about harassment..............basically I have lived at my current property since November 2011 and my next door neighbour has reported 'apparent breaches' to the local council, which has resulted in letters and visits alike from the authorities...........the list is as follows:

1. Burning horse manure
2. Garden shed beyond perimeter line of the house
3. Garden fence too high where the neighbour verbally abused my handyman.
4. That I'm running a business from my property.
5. Objected about planning application for the sighting of a mobile home.
6. Over hanging foliage from my garden to his.

In answer to the above, it was not manure but garden rubbish, this council do not have a 'garden waste service', so I have garden rubbish from the 6.5 acres I own and is situated to the rear of my property.

The garden shed was moved immediate, back behind the curtilage of the dwelling.

I am privately renting my pasture land, it is not commercial, and the council have agreed that this arrangement is OK.

The fence panels are 6' with a small panel of trellis on top, which I checked and is legal, it is not touching his fence, and is positioned about 10-12" away from his fence.

I have spoken, and been polite but he continues this harassment......I am a full time carer for my disabled husband which is stressful enough, and even more so with this neighbour who has stirred up hatred between the two other neighbours, and tried to get one other neighbour involved but who has refused to join his campaign against me....

Does this constitute harassment?

Kind Regards

I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes please, I would like to wait for a response. Thankyou

Hello Debbie,

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hello. This isn't really a property law question, but I am happy to pick it up. Basically, their is no set definition of Harrassment, but if the action being taken is repeated and intended to cause alarm or distress, then it could fall within the understanding of criminal Harrassment. The relevant legislation is the Protection from Harrassment Act 1997. I suggest that you write to the neighbour, saying that his complaints have been noted and discounted by the authorities and you will continue to use and enjoy your property as you see fit. I would then add that you "consider his persistent attempts to complain about (you) as deliberate and repeated attempts to cause (you) distress and alarm and (you) will have no choice to report matters to the police under the Protection from Harrassment Act 1997, if this unfounded Harrassment does not desist immediately". That ought to out a stop to things.
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience: I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
wingrovebuyer and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you