UK Property Law

Get UK Property Law Questions Answered by Experts

UK Property Law

hello im renting a house on private market (via letting agency).

hello i'm renting a house on...
hello
i'm renting a house on private market (via letting agency). two weeks ago I reported to the agent that ceiling light in the kitchen doesn't work. I changed all bulbs and it's definitely not bulb fault. the agent sent some guy to check it, however it wasn't electrician as he did not have tools with him and couldn't really do much about it, and said he is going calla n electrician. since that time it's been 15 days now, and I contacted the agent twice (over the phone and personally), as well as I sent them two text reminders to sort things out, as our kitchen light still doesn't work so in the evening it's just dark.
so, at this occasion, can I claim any money off the agent for inconvenience of living in the dark kitchen?
7/17/2013
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Whist is technically possible to claim for loss of amenity in this case I rather think it would be overkill I am afraid.

The reason for this is that freestanding lights could have been obtained either by you (and invoicing the agent) or by the agent themselves. Of course, there is the minor annoyance of having slightly odd light but technically your loss of amenity in this regard would not be sufficient diminished to form the basis of a legitimate county court claim. Certainly, the agents would fancy their chances of defending a total loss of amenity and simply limiting judgement to the cost of the lights.

I would focus on repair enforcement.

You should formally write to the the landlord specifying the disrepair, making a list of the reasonable repair required and ask that he make those repairs within a reasonable time (eg. 7 days, if you have earlier referred to required repair which has not been done_). State that if the landlord does not make the repair within that time you will pay to have the repairs made and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application to court if necessary.

I would also say that if alternatice free standing lights/lamps are not provided in two days then you will pay for them yourself and seek to claim the cost from them.

If the landlord does not make the repair you can pay to have it done and then write formally to him requesting the payment of the cost, again within a reasonable time). If he does not pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself through Her Majesty Courts Service's online service: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Its pretty cheap and straightforward to use. I always advise this way foward rather than withholding rent because of the reason outlined above (putting your continuing occupation in jeopardy).

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer