Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Hi, I have a house that has been used as 2 flats for more than

Hi, I have a house that has been used as 2 flats for more than 8 years, and have applied for Certificate of Existing Use (CLEUD), which I expect will be granted by the end of this month.

My question is what are the Building Regulation requirements? Do I need to apply for Building Regulations approval / certificate?

Joshua :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Joshua :

Do you refer to BRs relating to the conversion into flats please?

Joshua :

If so when was the conversion carried out?

Customer:

Hu Joshua

Customer:

I refer to any BR requirements for the conversion

Customer:

I applied for planning permission in 2004 and was granted, then did not have the money to complete the work according to the plan. I did piece meal work such as fitted a kitchen to the upstairs flat and separated the utilities in 2005-2006

Customer:

it was used as 2 flat since 2005

Joshua :

Thanks. So was the conversion completed in 2006?

Customer:

the conversion is not complete

Customer:

as per the plans

Customer:

as the permission lapsed in 2009, and I want to develop it properly now that I should have the funds, I applied for CLEUD a few weeks ago

Joshua :

Thanks. So you intend to carry out further work to complete the development?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it will be mostly creating proper entrance doors to each flat and renovation, fitting up to date kitchen, bathroom etc

Joshua :

Is it your intention to sell the flats on once conversion is complete?

Customer:

I have considered it yes, or remortgage

Customer:

i do intend to release some equity from it

Joshua :

Thanks. You are likely to require a building warranty if you are intending to sell or remortgage a flat conversion. One of the most popular for self builders is a company called Buildzone though there are others

Joshua :

http://www.build-zone.com

Joshua :

Most lenders will require a warranty on new conversions and new builds before they will lend so you will likely require one before you can sell or secure a mortgage.

Joshua :

They will appoint a building inspector to work with you to comply with building regulations and supply you with a building regulation completion certificate often under the contracted out scheme where private companies are empowered to issue completion certificates.

Joshua :

The current building are technical and divided into a number of sections and can be found here:

Joshua :

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/

Customer:

ok, so to sell the flats after the renovation works, would building regs be required in that case?

Joshua :

If you are carrying out the work yourself and lack technical knowledge of the requirements you may consider appointing a surveyor or architect to advise on works as you go along so you do not find yourself with a potentially expensive mistake to rectify

Joshua :

Building regulations will be required to sell or remortgage. Providing the work is complaint BRs are simple to obtain however as above.

Customer:

I heard about indemnity insurance, instead of building reg cert, where does that fit in?

Joshua :

You can obtain this but most insurers will only insure after 12 months following completion of the works and you will not be able to obtain a warranty without building regulations.

Joshua :

If you intended to sit on the property for at least 12 months following completion you may be able to avoid both a warranty and building regulations and opt for insurance instead but some buyers will be put off by the lack of the same irrespective of insurance.

Customer:

ok, do you know rough cost figures for warranty/BR cert (for example from buildzone) for converted 4 bed terraced house?

Customer:

reason i ask is that i am trying to get a cost budget for the total work required

Joshua :

Not with any degree of accuracy I am afraid as it is a quite separate industry to my own practice but at a rough guess I would suggest it would be £1200-1600. However they will be very happy to give you a quote and this should be obtained for budgeting purposes.

Customer:

if it works out that the entire project to properly convert and BR is too high for me i will consider selling the entire property to a cash buyer

Joshua :

They are quite used to providing quotations as all builders will wish to build in their cost to their budget.

Customer:

ok, i believe i have my answer

Customer:

thanks you

Joshua :

A pleasure. I wish you luck with the conversion and eventual sale.