How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my landlord is not keeping up with maintenance on my house

This answer was rated:

my landlord is not keeping up with maintenance on my house im in a fixed tenancy for another year but have given notice and leaving the end of this month, they are not agreeing to this. where does that leave me on the legal side?

What maintenance issues are we talking about here?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



all my double glazed windows need fixing the seals have all gone and the condensation is unbelievable. my front door is very wobbly that someone could lean on it to hard.. it would just pop open, I have no heating in the living room they took the one that broke out =

(night storage) but have never replaced it. the shower in the bathroom has broke when you turn Iit on water comes from the electrical element that is attached to the wall. thats the most important ones,

thank you


Hi Melanie,


What have you done to attempt to get the landlord to remedy the disrepair?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they have come round for the 6 monthly checks but have failed to on thelast one so that is over due. when they came round the were made aware of the problems and sent an electrician to take the broke heater away since then I have had telephone calls between myself and the landlords but nothing has been resolved. I have therefore found another property and moving in at the end of July but obviously needed know.where I stood on being liable for the rent till aug 2014 as that is when the fixed tenancy ends.

many thanks


Thanks for your patience.

I'm afraid you will be bound by the full term of the tenancy agreement unless there is a break clause in it entitling you terminate at a certain point during the term or the property is unfit for human habitation (which would also entitle you to terminate as it would be what is called a repudiatory breach of contract).

I would not be confident on a court finding that the disrepair matters that you have referred to reach the standard of uninhabitablility which is required for a repudiatory breach of contract, so they will be able to hold you to the term of the tenancy agreement.

If you simply leave the property and cease paying the rent then it will be for the landlord to decide whether or not to sue you for the rent owing under the new tenancy agreement. If successful, they would probably get judgement on 2-3 months rent, any other damages, expenses and legal fees so it’s not a small sum that we are talking about. It’s quite easy for them to sue you, you should be mindful of that.

However, you have a right to enforce the disrepair against the landlord.

You should formally write to the the landlord specifying the disrepair, making a list of the reasonable repair required and ask that he make those repairs within a reasonable time (eg. 14 days). State that if the landlord does not make the repair within that time you will pay to have the repairs made and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application to court if necessary.

If the landlord does not make the repair you can pay to have it done and then write formally to him requesting the payment of the cost, again within a reasonable time). If he does not pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself through Her Majesty Courts Service's online service:

Its pretty cheap and straightforward to use. I always advise this way foward rather than withholding rent because of the reason outlined above (putting your continuing occupation in jeopardy).

If you still wish to get out of the tenancy then landlords are generally under a duty not to unreasonably refuse a suitable tenant and your focus now should be on finding one to replace you in the new tenancy. If the landlord acted on his own then you should speak to him to check that he would be amenable to your finding a replacement tenant. You can then use to find a tenant (private landlords frequently use this service.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you