How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1730
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Joshua, I live in London and own a one bedroom ground

Customer Question

Hi Joshua,

I live in London and own a one bedroom ground floor flat on a leasehold basis and (unfortunately) I have a difficult freeholder with whom I don't have the best relationship with. We have just completed a drawn out lease extension (took 13 months rather then 4) and our initial thoughts were just to move to get on with our lives.
Having had estate agents rounds they have pointed put that converting it into a 2 bedroom with no extensions and only minor structural alterations (knocking through 2 walls at the back of the property) would increase the value by c£100k. This has obviously piqued my interest.
I have looked through the lease and found the following excerpt
"4). Not to make any alterations or additions to the said flat or alter the elavation or the external appearance of the said building or the said flat or any part thereof or cut through any main walls in the interior of the said building got the said flat or cut main walls or otherwise injure such main walls or any main timbers of the said building and not to stop or darken any windo or other opening belonging to said flat"

My question is this - can he deny us permission to make alterations even though this might be deemed as unreasonable (am I right in thinking that any denial mustn't be unreasonable) even though there is no provision of asking for his permission or provision that states that he cannot unreasonably withhold permission? If he does deny us permission (which is likely) is there any recourse we can take ie county courts or LVT, that could help?

Kind regards

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
I will notify Josh that your question awaits him. He will see my message when he next checks his email.
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

I am very sorry for the delay in reverting to you. May I assist you with this or have you managed to resolve the matter by now?

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Joshua, we have managed to get advice from elswhere





Related UK Property Law Questions