How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10627
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a landlord of a property I own, I have discovered that a

This answer was rated:

As a landlord of a property I own, I have discovered that a tenant has been using my name and set up a fake email address to pay for goods over the internet, thereby defrauding a mail order business using my details. I want to evict him immediately, having reported this to the Fraud Office and the police who are pursuing the matter now. How quickly can I evict him? He's a periodic tenant, so is it just one month's notice without having to explain why? Given that it's a crime, can I move him out quicker?

Buachaill :

1. Whilst in law, you strictly speaking have to give this person one months notice to quit your property, I would simply advise you to re-enter the building and remove all his belongings leaving them there for collection by him. In a court of law, no judge is going to listen to some tenant arguing over whether he attempted to carry out a fraud on a landlord is grounds for eviction. In both equity and the law, he who comes with unclean hands or he who attempts to commit a crime has no standing to make arguments over the default of another party. Accordingly, irrespective of the law, I would sweep this piece of Sh** off your door as quickly as you possibly can! Before he defrauds you further!

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

Buachaill and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you