How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it illegal for landlord to change locks

This answer was rated:

Is it illegal for landlord to change locks

Is this for a residential tenancy or a commercial lease?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.




Is this an assured shorthold tenancy agreement?

When does the fixed term of the tenancy agreement expires?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

18 of march 2013



If the fixed term has already expired in a tenancy has become a statutory periodic tenancy. This means that the tenancy continues on the same terms but from one rent period to the next ( so month to month if the tenant pays the rent monthly)

If you want to infect them then you will first have to serve a s.21 housing act 1988 notice on them in the correct form and wait until further notice expires. The notice period for this is 2 months and the notice must expire at the end of rent.

This link adequately tells you how to do this:

You will see a link of the above site to agreements and forms way you can download the relevant notice.

If the tenant does not leave once the notice has expired then you will have to apply to court for an order for possession. You can do this online here

The court will grant a possession order and then you can change the locks and evict them yourself or get a bailiff to do it

If you change the locks before you have a possession order from court then it would be an illegal eviction and the tenant could see you and win

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above if you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you