How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70512
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a tenant, the property is on the market for sale with

This answer was rated:

I am a tenant, the property is on the market for sale with the same letting agent. The agent passed my contact details without permission to another agent who my landlord had engaged in addition to sell the property.

Does this constitute breaking the lease and if so, can I leave the property earlier than the ast 6months?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Sorry for the delay.

Is there any reason you think tis might break the lease? You haven't been asked to move out I presume?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there is a clause that states the agent will not pass my details to a 3rd party without consent. This has been broken.


I have not been asked to move out, but I would like to leave the property prior to the end of my ast im in month 4 of 6.


The letting agent has broken that claue, does this give me the right to terminate my ast?

I am really sorry but its bad news I'm afraid.

ASTs are very hard to escape. You have to show literally that the property is uninhabitable which means something like flooded or gutted with fire damage.

This is a very minor breach of the agreement which does not allow you to escape. The very highest point of your claim is one in damages for any actual losses you suffer of a financial kind.

To escape the contract entirely you would have to show a breach of a really fundamental term which strikes at the heart of the contract - like the property not being available for you to live in.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.

Can I help further?

Jo C. and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you