UK Property Law

Get UK Property Law Questions Answered by Experts

UK Property Law

Ending a fixed term tenancy agreement. I still have 6 months

to go on my contract...
Ending a fixed term tenancy agreement. I still have 6 months to go on my contract. I would like to end fixed term tenancy contract with Martin and Co. They are saying, I can give notice when I am 2months end of contract. But I can't find in my contract any section, how much notice I need to give or when I can cancel the contract ( there no section in contract, what is saying cancelling or contract end etc). What rights I have?
6/17/2013
James Mather
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Do you have a specific question?

Hi.

I have 12 months fixed term contract. But there is not written- How much notice I need to give when i want to cancel or when I can canceled. There is missing section what talk about canceling and notice and when I need to give.

Thank You

You can terminate at end of 12 months but have to give 1 months prior notice, not 2.

It is a statutory period. You cannot end earlier unless landlord consents.

Can I help further?

Even when there is not written, how to terminate or when I want to terminate before my term ends(how much i need to pay) and how much notice I need to give. There is nothing written about this. Contract needs to be written how to terminate or not.

Thank You

It does not matter whether
this is written into the tenancy agreement or not. You cannot terminate before
the end of the term unless the landlord consents. You still have to give one
months notice at least.

If you move out early, the landlord is entitled to rent
until the end of the term or, if earlier, when he gets a new tenant.

I'm afraid I cannot be any
clearer

James Mather
James Mather
James Mather
James Mather