How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner owns his house outright. I want to sell my property

This answer was rated:

My partner owns his house outright. I want to sell my property and buy in to half of his and I will require a morgage. How do I go about this?
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I currently have a property of which there is some equity and I have a morgage. The plan is for me to sell my property and move in with my pertner. He owns his property outright so I want to buy in to 50% the plan being I pay some cash but would need to take out a morgage as well. The sum would be 175K for me to but in to the plan putting down 35K and taling a morgage for 140K how do I go about this

It is a transfer from 1 name
to 2 names and remortgage. Although he will have to join in the mortgage along
with you because the lender will not let a property owned by two people be
mortgaged in one name. I have come across instances like this but not recently
and it is very unusual. The lenders will no longer do it. Your partner may not
want to have the liability of the mortgage even though you may agree to pay it,
he is liable for it if you do not make the payments.

What you are looking doing is
absolutely straightforward and any solicitor that does conveyancing deals with
matters like this as a matter of course.

Does that answer the

Can I help further?

don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you
want to hear).

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. I

t doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

I am
offline shortly until later today and will pick this up then

Stuart J and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when you say lenders no longer do this what do you mean? transfer from 2 names to 1 name or transfer and remorgage?


They will not let you mortgage a house owned in joint names unless the mortgage is also in joint names.

You could not own it jointly but have mortgage in yr name only.

Ask them by all means but expect a negative answer

Related UK Property Law Questions