How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the middle of a nasty separeation from my ex boyfriend.

Customer Question

I am in the middle of a nasty separeation from my ex boyfriend. We had some joint savings in a joint named account of about £30,000. He has basically said that I am not entitled to any of the money. We both work full time, I would transfer money from his current account into the savings account and I would use the savings to top up my current account from which I paid all of the bills. He didn't pay anything except his bank loan which he took out to buy into a partnership back in 2006. I have appointed a solicitor and my ex is also a solicitor. He has said he has sought counsel and that I am definitely not entitled to any of the savings. Could someone please clarify for me? Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

I sm offline shortly until tomorrow
How are these savings joint?
Are they in joint names?
On what basis is he saying that you are entitled to £0?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The savings are held in a joint named account, they were built up over the last six years or so. He is saying that he exclusively saved the money and that I took £1000 each month to pay the bills. His argument is that I did not put into the account so I am not entitled to half. I have however, paid all of the household bills for the last 10/11 years without a contribution from him. I have the bank statements going back to 1998 to prove my outgoings. I work full-time and my earnings are around £1900 per month. His statement that I took £1000 every month is not quite true, he has used the savings to pay his tax bill for the last 6 years since he became a self-employed solicitor in a partnership. We had access to eachother's passwords for both our individual current accounts and the joint savings account and up until I left him there was never an issue with whose money was whose.


I have no idea what is left, if anything, of the £30,000 that was in the joint savings account, he has now bought a brand new house worth £190,000 so I guess he's used them for his deposit.


The savings have been used to improve the property that we jointly own which he is being 'fine' about. I hope you have enough information to give me an answer, he is stating that he has sought counsel about the savings and I have no legal right to any of them, please help!! By the way, I could not rate your response as it would not let me

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
So the maths are that he saved most of his money in a joint acct with you and you used all yr money and small part of the savings he put in but in joint names, on bills. He paid no bills. In effect, you paid the bills and he did the saving. Is that it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes that's it


Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Certainly, by arranging the
finances the way you have, you have made it difficult.

The money is in a joint
account and I assume that you both have access to it.

If not, and he will not cough
up, when you are obviously faced with taking legal action to get some money
from him.

I am not completely convinced
by his argument although, he would say that rather than say, "yes, here you
are, here is £15,000" particularly, if the relationship went sour.

My suggestion would be to get
a solicitor to write saying quite specifically that these are joint savings and
as such, you have an interest in 50% of them. In actual fact, your interest may
be more.

Ultimately, if he does not
allow you to take 50% of this money (you may not have access) you are faced
with legal proceedings.

Meanwhile, if you do have
access to the funds but are reluctant to just take them out in case he alleges
theft, I suggest you tell the bank that there is a dispute over this and that
they should freeze the account. You could actually remove him as a signatory!
But leave the money in there. If the account is frozen or just in your sole
name, the money will stay there until this is sorted and it might focus his



Does that answer the

Can I help further?

Related UK Property Law Questions