How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70515
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tenants did a runner with rent arrears. They left the property

This answer was rated:

Tenants did a runner with rent arrears. They left the property without any forward address. Can I trace them or do something?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract did they have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I spotted a white van for them, but not sure if it's a work vehilce or not. I had the reg plate.


How much do they owe roughly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Irrespective of the van, what can I do if their address is unknown?

Its easy enough to find them. If it comes to it you can use a trading agent to locate them.

For the most part, they cost less than £100 now and can locate most people within 48 hours.

The question is whether there is any point because you won't be able to claim it back.

If the tenant is working though then you are likely to get the funds from them so probably they would be worth suing.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


What is a trading agent?

That should have read tracing agent - that was a typing error!
Jo C. and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you