How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I have just moved into newly built house with my partner,

This answer was rated:

I have just moved into newly built house with my partner, sold by Linden homes in Colchester. We have been told, although not in writing, we are getting acoustic fence to reduce traffic noise. After questioning it, we found out there is no fence to be installed at all. The noise is very disturbing, all day long. It's even worse on the first floor, where our master bedroom is. We have been told that our house is on a little hill and acoustic fence would ruin the view and we are not facing the street (40 mph limit).
What are we supposed to do? Two other neighbours are also not happy about it. Can we complain? Any chances to have at least windows replaced? We are covered by 2 years warranty from the developer and also have private insurance for the house and its contents. Can we claim anything? More then anything i want this noise to stop coming.
I would need you to write me such a complain, please.

Thanks for your patience.

You need to speak with your solicitor who acted for you in the purchase.

He will be able to check the contract to ensure what documents form contractual obligations from the Seller to you. If the erection of an acoustic fence was noted in the pre-contractual documentation and this was referred to in the purchase contract for the property then it will be a contractual obligation of the Seller.

If it is a contractual obligation then you can enforce it against the Seller and get them to erect the fence.

If you have documentation with you then you should also scour it for reference to the fence.

If the erection of the fence was only mentioned verbally to you then you need to get your solicitor to check the purchase contract. Unfortunately, it will likely say that only written replies to enquiries before contract and the pre-contract documentation itself will form part of the contract. If it does (it should really) then I’m afraid that you are not likely to be able to legally compel them to erect the fence. Though you can do some sabre rattling to see how far this gets you, sometimes it can work.

You should also keep in close contact with your neighbours about this and pool your resources. Three voices are better than one.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


with regards XXXXX XXXXX answer you provided - could you also please advise on the letter we can send to the developer as a group of three neighbours/individually with the complaint. This request has also been included in my original question.

many regards,


Hi Anna,

I really would not advise sending that letter of complaint before you have spoken with your solicitor to establish their contractual obligations.

This is potentially something that you could litigate on and therefore your communications with the Seller should be vetted by the Solicitor to ensure that you do not disclose anything which could conceivably be exploited by them in litigation. Your could prejudice yourself unwittingly by doing that without first taking the specific advice from your solicitor on the merits of your claim and the cause of action.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I appreciate your help and advise and i will refer this case to the solicitor.

I am afraid it won't be mentioned in any paperwork, that's why I am trying to have a back up prepared. Could you please help with this one?





I'm afraid that it is a conditoin of the site that I am not allowed to accept private instructions from customers. Your solicitor that acted in the purchase should be the first port of call.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you