How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7612
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a lease prohibits the erection of satellite dishes on a

This answer was rated:

If a lease prohibits the erection of satellite dishes on a block of flats, but dishes have been installed for ten years or more and the freeholder has never bothered to enforce the restriction, can the dishes stay in place?

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that in order get around the restriction they would have to acquire a legal easement to have satellite dishes.

If they do not already have an express legal easement then they would only be able to acquire one by prescription. In order to acquire by prescription they would have to show that they have been exercising the right without interruption for a continuous period of 20 years.

If they have not reached the 20 years then they have not acquired the easement and would therefore have to remove them if asked by the freeholders.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you