How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70421
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my tenants are struggling to pay the rent and have been fantastic

This answer was rated:

my tenants are struggling to pay the rent and have been fantastic for 2.5 years..i want to put their rent down for 6 months to help, can i just amend the contract with their witnessed consent as now periodic does it start a new ast? thank you

jomo1972 :

What type of contract is it?


A S T started oct 11




i had to move to another computer could you give me an idea when i can get a response thanks


really sorry but home on lunch break, need to go back to work at 1.30. if no response by then please refund my money if i have not received an answer thank you and i will see my solicitor today. jane

I'm sorry for the delay. I couldn't get into the site.

Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes please !


im 65 and not that computer literate

Its not you. Its a fault at our end.

If your AST ended in 2012 roughly then this is now a periodic.

You can agree to accept a lesser sum on a periodic as you choose. It does become hard to increase it again though obviously.

You can also sign a new AST with the revised rent upon it but obviously that would tie you in for six months.

You should be aware though that once you have reduced the rent you may face a struggle to increase it again.
Jo C. and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you