How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

FAO Thomas. Hi, you helped me recently regarding tenancy agreement.

This answer was rated:

FAO Thomas. Hi, you helped me recently regarding tenancy agreement. Landlord has only agreed to £400 compensation and not £800 that i required for my expenses for new house move, i asked him to forfeight Mays rent and i would move out on 31st May. If i dont pay my rent of £800 for May can he recover extra £400 that hes not agreed to from deposit? My expenses are £318 application fees, £320 removal fees, £120 cats day boarding fee. Regards Eileen
Hi Eileen

If you do not may's rent and you do not have the landlord's agreement for you not to pay it then the landlord would be able to take this from the deposit. If your tenancy has a fixed term which expires beyond may then he would also be able to take the remaining rent for the other months from the deposit as well.

I would suggest that you if you don't get his agreement to surrender the lease for which you charge a fee then I would stay in the property and play hardball so that he eventually the greens to pay the additional costs that you have outlined.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards.

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you