How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good Morning, I started renting apartment 3 weeks ago. Contract

This answer was rated:

Good Morning, I started renting apartment 3 weeks ago. Contract is based on Assured Shorthold Tenancy and it fixed term agreement for 12 months with 60 days notice after 12 months. There is penalty 2600 pounds for breaking contract before one year. Flat is brand new and comfortable however street noise is problematic. I've lived close to bigger street and it was much less nuisance because of good windows. Current street is SE London and seemed normal but in reality it is quite high traffic full 24 hours (even on night there are cars every 3-5 seconds) and I blame thin walls and windows for that. Can I finish agreement before one year because of noise nuisance without paying penalty? Does landlord have to change windows to better if there is noise above some level? If yes, what level of noise does it need to be? What options do I have?

When does the fixed term expire please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In contract it is:


A fixed term of 12 months
Commencing on and including 23 Feb 2013
To and including 28 Feb 2014


Thanks for your patience.

Unless the landlord has specifically included a contractual provision which relates to the level of noise (unlikely) then I cannot see that you could terminate early on this basis.

The landlord’s responsibilities under statute are quite well articulated on the following link:-

There is no low level of noise that the landlord is to guarantee. In the absence of any contractual provision covering this the only way that I could see that you could argue that you should not face a claim upon early termination is if the landlord had misrepresented to you before you executed the tenancy that there was no or minimal noise.

On the basis that there is no such contractual provision or misrepresentation then I’m afraid you would not have the right to terminate early.

However, landlords are generally under a duty not to unreasonably refuse a suitable tenant and your focus now should be on finding one. If the landlord acted through agents then you should explain your situation to them and press them (and continue to press them) to find you a replacement tenant. If the landlord acted on his own then you should speak to him to check that he would be amenable to your finding a replacement tenant. You can then use to find a tenant (private landlords frequently use this service.

If the landlord unreasonably refuses your replacement tenant and yo have documented evidence of this then you could terminate on this basis being confident of a defence to any claim that they might issue against you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions