How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am living in Australia. I owned a parcel of land in Farnham,

This answer was rated:

I am living in Australia. I owned a parcel of land in Farnham, Hampshire. England, about 22 years ago with my late husband Bernard Michael Monk who passed away in 1992 and since then I remarried and now live in Australia
I believe the title details are 51.188103,-0.85902 Holt Pound Lane. Farnham. Land only.
This was in my late husbands and my name Bernard Michael Monk and Anthea Mary Monk/ Crowngate Hotels. Can you please verify that I still own this property and if I don't do I have recourse to claim it back.
Many thanks
Hi Anthea, Thanks for your patience.

If the land does not have a property with a post code on it then you would probably not be able to use the Land Registry’s “find a property” service to download a copy of the registered title for the property to establish who is noted as owning it:-!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

Therefore, this means that you would have to submit an index map search of the land to the Land Registry. You would do this by completing the Land Registry’s Form SIM. You would also have to obtain a plan of the land and show the land edged in red pen by penning it in yourself.

This would then be submitted to the Land Registry. The Land Registry would return results stating what the registered title number is XXXXX the land. You can then obtain the registered title for it by inputting the title number in to the above link and downloading a copy of the register. The Register will state who the registered propretiors are.

If you and your husband owned the land together then it is not likely that anything has happened to it without your consent. Therefore, you should be able to deal with it now.

There are two ways of holding land.
1) Joint tenants - this is where the land is held jointly and means that upon death of the first of the owners to die it passes to the remaining joint owner. You would only have to submit a certified copy of the death certificate to the Land Registry for them to remove him from the title so that it is in your name only to do with as you please
2) Tenants in Common. This is where you hold your shares separately. Upon death of the first to die their share passes to whoever was entitled to inherit his estate under his Will or the intestacy rules (if there was no Wills). If this is how it is held then it will take a bit of sorting out and you will have to contact the person who inherited his estate to establish what you agree should now happen to the land

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you