How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have an applicant who wishes to proceed with an assured

This answer was rated:

We have an applicant who wishes to proceed with an assured shorthold tenancy the landlord and tenant both wish to enter a three year fixed term ast at a rent of £1300pcm is this possible or would it become a deed

Thanks for your patience.

If the term of the lease is exactly three years then this means that it does not need to be executed as a deed. This is because of s54(2) Law of Property Act 1954 and because being exactly three years does not “exceed” three years.

Therefore if they did not execute it as a deed it would still be binding. However, its very easy to draft as a deed and execute as such so I usually advise to execute tenancies as deeds in any event.

if the tenancy for a term of three years and one day or more then it must be executed as a deed otherwise it will be void.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you