How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to get rid of commercial lease, I sign this personally

This answer was rated:

I want to get rid of commercial lease, I sign this personally not as a company which we run (this is limited company). I closed down shop in March 2012 and I paid rent till December and now I am paying instalments, I can not afford paying 17 000+ busines rate 8000. I do not know what to do . I gave this shop to sub let by Howkins and Harisson but around are 7 shops to let as well. This is in High Street in Rugby .

Are you unable to assign the lease?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I want to stop this lease.


Thanks for your patience.

You need to check your lease to see if there is a clause in it which permits you to either assign (ie. sell the remaining term of the lease) or sub-let the property to another tenant. It may be subject to a few landlord conditions like you signing an authorised guarantee agreement in which you guarantee the performance of the new tenant. If you find a tenant then you will need to instruct a solicitor to assign the lease for you.

If, as it sounds, you are not able to find a replacement tenant then in the first instance you should negotiate with the landlord a Surrender of Lease. This is where you both agree that the lease should be terminated. The landlor di under no legal obligation to accept a surrender of lease and so will charge a fee. You will have to see what he is willing to charge.

Your only altermative apart from that is to return the keys to the landlord. This means that you will breach the contract and the landlord can then seek to recover damages from you. However, they are under an obligations to mitigate their lose so you would find yourself liable for the amount of rent that you would have paid until the landlord could reasonably have expected to re-let the property. If you cannot settle informally then it would involved litigation in which case you would also find yourself liable for the landlord’s legal fees and interest.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you but those are your optiosn.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,