How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, if I have signed short hold tenancy agreement with private

This answer was rated:

Hello, if I have signed short hold tenancy agreement with private landlord for 6 months only and landlord is going to change the contract after this 6 months (increase rent price) should I give him leaving notice before end of the tenancy in that situation? And if so, when should I do it? Or should I just leave the property?

Thanks for your patience.

If you have signed an assured shorthold tenancy agreement with a fixed term of 6 months and you do not wish to remain in the property for any longer than the fixed then you are not required under law to give the landlord any notice in order to leave the property.

You will see that this is confirmed here:-

Please refer to the penultimate paragraph under the heading “Ending a fixed term tenancy agreement” for confirmation.

In practice though, it’s usually sensible to let the landlord know what you are doing in good time before expiry because not doing so can provoke a landlord in to being difficult about the return of the deposit.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions