How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

roommates are disturbing , administrator does not functional

This answer was rated:

hello , I am a student who lived in a 5 people shared flat. there are a few problems

1 my roommate bring their boyfriends live in .

2 they are very loud ,i was waked up in the night many times by their noise.

3 they put the trash in the public area and do not clean their dish after eating 

I have tried to talk with them , actually , the person A who used to live in this room can not bear the situation choose to move out ,but paid for double rents until she find me to move in.

I have talk to administrators as what A did before , but A told me that after administrator gave them warning ,nothing really happened.

I do not want the same result. I want to know what is my right in this situation ?what should I do ,what administrator should do ?

it is said that if I want to move to another flat that I have to find a person who take over my flat now first , i do not think it is reasonable , because it is not my fault and I am more or less forced to leave if my roommates continue their misbehavior. please guides me what action should I take to protect my right not to be disturbed in this situation !




Do you have your own tenancy agreement or are you named on a joint one with the other tenants?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have my own tenancy agreement , each student have their tenancy contract with this student large development building .


I will be able to answer after 9, I have left for the office now.


Thanks for your patience.

Generally it is the case that you would be bound by the fixed term of your tenancy unless there was a break clause entitling you to terminate OR the property was not fit for human habitation because there was an environmental or repair problem.

Landlords are generally under a duty not to unreasonably refuse a suitable tenant and your focus now should be on finding one. If the landlord acted through agents then you should explain your situation to them and press them (and continue to press them) to find you a replacement tenant. If the landlord acted on his own then you should speak to him to check that he would be amenable to your finding a replacement tenant.

The only way that you could potentially get them to release you is arguing that they have breached their covenants to you. If there is a covenant/obligation of the landlord to enforce the tenant’s covenants in the other tenancies that have been granted and they have not been doing this then you could write to them to say that you consider this a breach of contract. You could ask them to enforce the tenant’s covenants on the other housemates that they are breaching and state that if they don’t then you shall consider the landlord’s breach a repudiatory one, which is a breach so serious that it denies you the substantial whole of the benefit of the contract.

Frankly, I would not be confident on terminating on this basis but it may prompt them in to action.

Sorry it could not be better news,

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you