How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Landlord has failed to provide hot water for over 3 weeks.

This answer was rated:

My Landlord has failed to provide hot water for over 3 weeks. Where do I stand legally.
As per the contract he is required to provide the above serivce.

Any help would be great.

Is this a residential assured shorthold tenancy?

What has the landlord done about this?

What is your ideal outcome?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I essentially need to know where I stand with rent, and withholding it


Thanks for your patience.

I generally advise against withholding rent because you can inadvertently entitle the landlord to serve a notice of eviction in certain circumstances.

You can withhold rent only provided you follow a very specific procedure and usually I would advise this as a last resort given that if you do not follow the procedure you can potentially grant you landlord the right to terminate your tenancy for non-payment of rent. This website provides information about the procedure with standard letters:-

You should formally write to the the landlord specifying the disrepair, making a list of the reasonable repair required and ask that he make those repairs within a reasonable time (eg. 14 days). State that if the landlord does not make the repair within that time you will pay to have the repairs made and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application to court if necessary.

If the landlord does not make the repair you can pay to have it done and then write formally to him requesting the payment of the cost, again within a reasonable time). If he does not pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself through Her Majesty Courts Service's online service:

Its pretty cheap and straightforward to use. I always advise this way foward rather than withholding rent because of the reason outlined above (putting your continuing occupation in jeopardy).

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you