How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in an end terrace, my neighbor insists that he not only

This answer was rated:

I live in an end terrace, my neighbor insists that he not only has a right of way by foot but also for a horse and cart (he doesn't have a horse) and I must leave him access at all times. he also claims it is in a specific route through my garden, I've looked at my Land registry details and cannot find this information, there is only a mention of right of way for both properties (there used to be outbuildings on the neighbors land that belonged to the house I live in) will the information be anywhere other than the land registry? my neighbor claims its clearly stated on his deeds, I've asked him to provide a copy several times but he has yet to do so

What is the wording of the right of way in the land regsitry register please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i haven't got the document with me, but the wording mentions a right of way in 1919 when the house was 1st separated into 2 properties and again in agreement between previous owners in 1950 in relation to the outbuildings, the clause states that my neighbor as access through my property but not specific to anything


Thanks for your patience.

If the right of way does not mention that they have a right of access by horse and cart then I think you are fairly safe in assuming that the right does not extend to this, or to vehicular access.

Usually rights of way would mention this specifically.

I would state that you would restrict his use of the right of way on foot if he attempts to use it for horse purposes, but at the same time invite him to prove that he has a right by horse by producing the relevant document containing the right.

State that you do not wish to be obstructive and have no motivation to prevent a legal right of way but that you do not consider use by horse to be the legal use of the right of way.

Keep copies of everything.

It’s potentially possible that the right may be contained in a deed which was not sent to the Land Registry upon initial registration but you are not under an obligation to permit access for a right of way which has not been proven to you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions