UK Property Law

Get UK Property Law Questions Answered by Experts

UK Property Law

My neighbour phoned the council and arranged the destruction

and removal of a pool...
My neighbour phoned the council and arranged the destruction and removal of a pool table that is situated in communal area for all residents to use. Can he do this ? do I have any recourse to replace the item ?
2/8/2013
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

What communcal area are you referring to?

Is this in a block of flats or an estate of houses?

Tom
Its a gated alleyway - all residents hold a key to the gates, it has garden furniture and plants all around. The table has been present for 6-7 years - this neighbour has lived there for two years and never complained, in fact he uses the gardens.

Who is the owner of the gated alleyway?

Tom
The council
Okay.

Are you aware of anyone actually owning the pool table?

Are you a council tenant or do you own your own property?

Tom
I own the property, the neighbour is renting from private landlord. The pool table was bought by three residents collectively.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

If the ownership of the table is known then it would be for the owners of the table to take action against the resident that asked for it to be removed.

If you do not own the pool table OR do not have a specific right evidence on your legal title for your property then you don’t have a cause of action against the removal of it since you were simply allowed to use it rather than having a specific right to use it.

My advice would be to speak to the residents that owned the table and attempt to encourage them to take action (perhaps with your help) against the person that had it removed.

Sorry it could not be better news, but it is the owners decision to take

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

The pool table belongs to me and my son & wife (whos company we got it
from) so I have a claim as you say, but is that claim against my neighbour,
the council or both ?

Hi

I will answer at 9.

Did the neghboiur know you owned it?

Tom

Sorry for the delay.

Yes he knew

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer