How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlord changed my locks and is telling me that I owe him

This answer was rated:

My landlord changed my locks and is telling me that I owe him rent which he is not putting any specified amount down on paper and has given me a week to pay him , can't contact him by phone as he won't answer his phone , and I was only informed of him changing the locks as when I returned home to find a plain white piece of paper cello taped to the doors saying he had changed the locks

Is this a residential tenancy or a commercial matter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Residential property

Do you have tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes but it is currently locked in the house with all of my belongings , but one thing that was on it from what I remember is that he put in it is that he states he cannot enter the house without me knowing about it or without my permission , yet he had to enter to get the locked changed ?

When does the fixed term expire please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was a 6 month which was renewed in December to a yearly rolling contract

Have you receives a formal s21 Housing Act 1988 notice from the landlord or have they simply changed the locks?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has printed out a notice from his own home computer and cello taped it to the front and back door of the property stating ....

My name
Property address

Re :- outstanding rent arrears

Please be aware the locks for this property have been changed,please contact (landlords name) (landlords phone number) regarding removal of your goods within the next seven days .

Failure to do so will result in all of your goods being removed from this property on Monday 11/02/2013 and placed in the yard for you to collect at your responsibility. ALL cost/costs incurred will be added to the final outstanding balance.

(Landlords name)

Thanks for your patience.

If you have a residential assured shorthold tenancy then this is an illegal eviction for which you can sue the landlord.

You have the right under such a tenancy to receive notice of eviction. If you are on a rolling tenancy (ie. a statutory periodic tenancy) then you should receive a s21 housing act 1988 notice giving you two months notice of eviction with such notice to expire at the end of a rent period.

Plainily you have not received this. You need to see a solicitor about writing to the landlord and then suing them for the loss/expenses that you have occurred.

If what you have is correct, then you will be sucesssful .

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions