How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

is there any form of financial help my sister can obtain from

This answer was rated:

is there any form of financial help my sister can obtain from any source to remove asbestos from her private property,although she owns the property,she is very hard of hearing,is registered as partially sighted,has no income,other than benefits.The asbestos sheets form the ceiling of her garage ,her living quarters are above,a section of the panelling has fallen from the ceiling,and is now obviously a dangerous hazard.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that they are correct if it is a private dwelling which she herself owns and they have no other formal involvement with it other than it falling within their dwelling then they will only offer basic guidance and advice on where it can be disposed. They will state correctly that it is not their responsibility to remove it and instead that it is hers as the owner of the home.

Some local authorities used to offer grants to remove asbestos, but not too many do now in the current economy, so if they are saying that they do not give grants then I would expect this to be correct. However, you may consider chasing them up formally by letter to make a bit of noise and ask to be referred to to a senior manager in the department.

Most probably, they are not going to be able to help. You may consider contacting the charities for the conditions from which she suffers to see if any assistance can be offered.

I am very sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you