Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

On 1st May 2012 our tenants jointly signed a shorthold tenancy

On 1st May 2012 our tenants jointly signed a shorthold tenancy agreement for 2 years. On the 1st of January 2013 they served us with a months notice. They want to terminate the agreements which still has 15 months to run. The property has a mortgage. They are splitting up thats why they want out. We have put the property in the hands of a letting agent and are prepared to let them go when we find a new tenant but they want to go before can they?

Is there a break clause in the tenancy agreement entitling them to terminate?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No there is no break in clause

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

If there is no break clause entitling them to terminate now then they have no legal right to serve notice to terminate. If they simply leave the property then it would be a breach of contract.

If they do this then you can sue them for breach of contract and damages. This would include the remaining rent, interest, legal expenses and any other direct costs. You would probably only get judgement on a couple of months rent (plus the extras) because you are under a duty to mitigate your loss by finding a replacement tenant.

If a replacement tenant is found then you are under a duty not to unreasonably refuse a reasonable replacement tenant, though it should be the tenant putting in the work to find them. If you incur costs to find a replacement tenant then these should be paid by the current tenants and you can sue them for these if it comes to it.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom