How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a tenancy agreement include an ammount a tenenat has to

This answer was rated:

Can a tenancy agreement include an ammount a tenenat has to contribute to repairs i.e. the first �75?

Is this a residential tenancy or a commercial tenancy?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Residential. Length of tenancy is 12 months.


Thanks for your patience.

A landlord is obliged under statute to keep the property in repair to the standard as outlined in Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. Here is a good explanation of that:-

If the charge purports to charge the tenant if the landlord carries our repair only to bring the property up to the standard outlined in the above act then it would not be enforceable. This is because the landlord is legally obliged to keep the property to that state of repair. Therefore this would be charging the tenant for the landlord carrying out his legal duty. This would not be upheld by the court.

I could not recommend that a charge was included in a tenancy agreement I’m afraid.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you