How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

commercial leases what are my option to end my early

This answer was rated:

commercial leases what are my option to end my early

Are you the landlord or the tenant?

When does the fixed term of the lease expire?

Is there a break clause in the lease?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.






Thanks for your patience.

You only have two options.

The first is to assign or sublet the Lease. You lease will contain a clause which deals with this. You need to look this up. It should say that you are permitted to assign or sublet the lease but only under certain conditions.

It will likely require the landlords consent which is not to be unreasonably withheld or delayed and also require you to execute an authorised guarantee agreement when you assign the lease. This means that you effectively guarantee the performance of the tenant covenants by tenant that you sell the lease to. If they default then the landlord can come after you, though you would be able to take the lease back and assign it to another tenant.

If there is a clause in your lease (there really should be) then you can find another tenant and assign the lease to them by each instructing solicitors to affect the assignment.

If you cannot find someone to sell the lease to then you can attempt to negotiate a surrender of the lease with the landlord. This is where you both agree that the lease is terminated. They are under no obligation to consider or do this but sometimes will occasionally subject to a negotiated fee.

If you cannot do either of these things then you are stuck. You could hand back the keys, but then the landlord would sue you for the rent, his expenses, damages, legal fees and interest. They would be successful too unfortunately.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you