How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7612
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a fixed contract ending in February. I let my letting

This answer was rated:

I have a fixed contract ending in February. I let my letting agency know that I'm moving to the Netherlands in the beginning of January. They came back with a termination contract (very poorly written and not in plain English) saying that I either have to pay �250 for reletting fees if they find a new tenant, or pay January and February (when my contract ends). I would like to know the repercussion of 'abandonment', i.e. cancelling my standing order, and letting them keep the deposit. Thank you

Do you have a replacement tenant?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, because I thought it was similar to other contracts I have signed in the past, where I just gave notice and that was it. In addition, my garage roof has been leaking for over a year. I have emailed the agency many times this year to come fix it, but they haven't done it (although it is in the contract that they have to carry out repairs).


I'm on my way to work now, I will answer at 9bst..


Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid their demands are reasonable. Basically, they are entitled to charge the fees that they normally charge for new tenants in terms of ensuring they are suitable tenants provided that those fees were reasonable in the first place.

Their fees are at the higher end of the reasonable ball park and you may be able to negotiate down to under £200 but not much more.

If you simply cancel the rent and return the keys then it will be for them to decide whether or not to sue you. They would probably get judgement on about a couple of months rent because they are under a duty to mitigate their loss and so the judge would normally take the view that they should have been able to re-let the property.

Once they have obtained judgement in the UK they will have to decide whether or not to enforce it in the Netherlands, which is fairly easy to do but the reality is that some small letting agent don’t’ do this.

However, you would still have a UK county court judgement which would appear on credit checks, whether that’s going to be a problem for you depends on whether you are to return to the UK at any point

.Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you