How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My name isXXXXX My rather naive son has

This answer was rated:


My name isXXXXX

My rather naive son has signed an AST, with others, in a house, which has no clause for notice to quit before the stated end of agreement. Is notice to quit implied in any AST or does it have to be explicit? i have an informed lay-person's knowledge of tenancy rights and the agreement looks very one-sided to me (landlord, obviously!)

Can I send you a copy of the agreement for you to look at?

Thanks for your patience.

There is no implied break/termination clause in favour or either the tenant or the landlord in ASTs. No statute implies such a clause and instead it is for the tenants/landlord to negotiate about whether or not to include one.

You son/others will remain bound by the length of the AST I’m afraid. The unfair terms in consumer contracts legislation makes some specific terms of the tenancy agreement unfair but not relating to length of term of whether a break clause is included or not unfortunately.

He would be able to terminate the tenancy if the property is unfit for human habitation. This would be a repudiatory breach of contract by the landlord which means that there is a breach so serious that it goes to the root of the contract to deny him the whole or substantial whole of the benefit of the contract.

Landlords are also not supposed to unreasonably refuse a replacement tenant produced to them by an existing tenant, so this would be a further way to get out of the tenancy.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you