How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The soil pipe from the lavatory in my property vents into the

This answer was rated:

The soil pipe from the lavatory in my property vents into the soil & vent stack on my neighbours property and has done so for the last 30 years. I am now being requested to remove the soil pipe on my side. Do I have to comply with this request?

Is the right to vent documented in the title register for either property at the land registry?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no right to vent on the title but the previous freeholder (over 30 years ago) gave verbal assurances that she did not object to the pipe venting into the stack pipe on her property.


Have you been personally witness to the use of the pipe for this purpose for 20 years or more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I have and so has my wife.


Thanks for your patience.

If the easement is not registered on title to the property then you would have to claim that you have acquired an easement for this right by prescription. Where a right has been exercised without dispute for a period of 20 years it can be claimed to be legally acquired.

This being the case you would have to execute sworn statements to this effect and, if possible produce other documentary evidence to confirm the length of time it has been used for.

You should see a local property solicitor to respond to the letter and prepare and application to register the easement against both legal titles by way of prescription.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you