How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to buy shared ownership 40% initially, i have received

This answer was rated:

I want to buy shared ownership 40% initially, i have received the report on title which states 'we will need to know if there are to be any adult occupiers who will not be on the title to the property, please let us know if this is the case'. Today this is not the case, can you explain what this means longer term, can i then have a partner move in at any point in the future?

Are you buying with a mortgage?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes with a £40K deposit and a mortgage of the balance - best regards


Thanks for your patience.

The lender must get a first legal charge on the property, this is what they get in return for you agreeing the mortgage.

If there are people who will live at the property without being named on the registered title then the lender will require them to execute a deed of postponement or letter of consent. This is a document which the occupier signs confirming that they agree the will not claim an interest in the property in priority of the mortgage, thus protecting their first legal charge status.

Nothing onerous, or anything to be concerned about but you should ensure you contact your lender if/when anyone occupies the property apart from you because the requirement does form part of your mortgage condtions.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions