How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a farming client who wishes to split their property

This answer was rated:

I have a farming client who wishes to split their property between their son and daughter. We will get a solicitor to review the final land registry application but are trying to work out where to start. Would it be TR1?

Is it a simply case of transferring one registered title in to the joint names of the son/daughter OR is it a case of dividing one title separately in to two separate/distinct titles and giving one to each?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Farm has 3 deeds for different bits, all in mothers sole name. She is only 55 so no IHT worries (I hope!). One is for daughter, one is for son, one is to have both their names on. None to be split.


You refer to "deeds". Is the land registered at the Land Registry or unregistered?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would assume it is as they bought the farm within the last 15 years. However assume is not the same as yes. I'll find out! What are implications if not registered

Thank you


Thanks for your patience.

If registered you can download a copy of the register for your property from the land registry's search engine:-
Enter the postcode for your property and if it is registered it will give you the option to download a copy of the register.

If the titles are registered and not going to be split then you will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) for each title (which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website
by selecting from the "Forms" tab:-

You will probably have some questions on completing the form but the land registry's customer support service are very helpful to lay persons. A fee will be required and you can also ask them about that.

However, if the titles are not registered then you would have to complete an application for first registration by completing LR Form FR1. This is very complicated for lay persons because you have to prove the chain of ownership back through the years. This being the case you should instruct a solicitor to prepare these for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you