How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does a solicitor have a legal responsibility to let you know

This answer was rated:

Does a solicitor have a legal responsibility to let you know about any covenants on the propertty when you purchase a house and adjoining land?

Thanks for your patience.

In practice I would expect all conveyancing solicitors to explain in their Report on Title to you if there are covenants affecting the property and to refer you to the land registry title and/or earlier conveyance/transfer which imposed the covenants and inform you to read the covenants to ensure they will not diminish your enjoyment of the property.

If there are covenants on the property which have affected your enjoyment of the property to the point where you have suffered financial loss then you may have a claim in negligence against your solicitor if they did not refer you to them before you exchanged contracts.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions