How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I need to have a solicitor to register a 10 year commercial

This answer was rated:

Do I need to have a solicitor to register a 10 year commercial lease or can I do it myself? and how do I go about it?? I am the landlord. My tenant is reluctant to make any contribution to my legal costs for engaging a solicitor. The cheapest quote I have received so far is £780 (inc VAT). Can I get it done any cheaper as my tenant does not want to contribute??

Has the lease been completed or are you still negotiating it and the tenant does not yet have occupation?

Is there a mortgage on the property?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the tenant is already in occupation. her lease expired last year in the summer. i have already negotiated a new 10 year lease but she is reluctant to contribute to my costs.


Is there a mortgage on the property?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is a commercial loan with Natwest
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes a commercial mortgage with Natwest


You should really instruct a solicitor simply because they draft/check the lease to ensure that you are adequately protected, if you do not instruct a solicitor then you risk giving the tenants rights that they should not have or making it very very difficult for you to regain possession of the property in the event that something goes wrong.

You would also need to obtain written consent to the lease from the lender before you complete it, otherwise you would be in breach of your mortgage conditions

You can register the lease yourself by sending Land Registry form AP with the lease to the land registry but you would also need to send the HMRC Stamp Duty return form with it, together with the LR fee of - usually - £50. The tenant must submit this to HMRC upon completion and obtain the stamp duty return.

Basically, yes you can do the lease and register it yourself but is highly, highly inadvisable.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is the legal fee of £780 (inc VAT) reasonable or can I get it done cheaper through another firm that you know of??


Is there a norm by law or precedent as to how much of it the tenant should contribute??


Many thanks


That would be around the cheapest, yes.

There is no law governing this, it's a matter for negotiation. Most of the time each party pays their own costs but sometimes the landlord can negotiate for the tenant to pay the landlord's costs.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you