How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a semi detached house but I have the freehold for

This answer was rated:

I live in a semi detached house but I have the freehold for next door also Am I allowed to charge next door ground rent & if so who sets the amount The services for both properties run through my property

Thanks for your patience.

You will have to check the lease for the property over which you own the leasehold.

The lease will specify if you have the right to charge ground rent. If you do, it will specify how much and at what intervals such payments are to be made.

You can contact the land registry, who should hold a copy of the lease so that you can check it to establish your right to charge.

If there is no such right in the lease or on the register for the registered title for the property at the Land Registry then you will not have a right to charge ground rent I’m afraid.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you