UK Property Law

Get UK Property Law Questions Answered by Experts

UK Property Law

I am a first time landlord and a member of the NLA.

I am a first time...

I am a first time landlord and a member of the NLA. On theNLA website I created a 12 month fixed AST, they sent me the wording for a 6 month break clause and I ticked the guarantor option so their is a space for the guarantor to sign on the AST. The NLA also sent me a "letter of guarantee" template of to send to the guarantor. The tenant advised that his father who is the guarantor will not be able to travel to me to sign the letter of guarantee and AST. I also read on the internet that the guarantor has to be given good notice to sign the guarantee, is this correct and how much notice should be given to the guarantor? Is it best for the guarantor to be physically present and for me to see them when completing the above?. Also I would like the AST double checked by you to confirm I have done everything correct as the NLA do not do this. I am also unable to upload files on your website. I clicked the paper clip icon and nothing happens. Thank you in advance.

9/14/2012
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
qHi

Thanks for your patience.

The NLA will certainly have an AST that is sound for your purposes, but if you want to see if you can attach it then I can have a quick look through if you like.

In respect of the guarantor, it is a good idea to send it to them in good time before you complete simply so that they are not able to claim they were put under any form of duress. You should state in your letter enclosing the guarantee that it’s an importnant legal document which affects their legal position and, as such, they may consider seeking independent legal advice on it.

It is not strictly necessary for the guarantor to be present when signing, or to have their signature witnessed. However, it’s best in terms of enforceability if they cannot be present for them to go to a solicitor to execute it in front of them and have them check their ID and witness it.

If you do the above then you will have them on the hook.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Please can you call me on XXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Catherine.

Catherine,

We are not allowed direct contact with customers I'm afraid. The site is for general advice, not specific advice.

We can only correspond via this medium.

Tom

Tom,

Apologies, I was not aware of this.

I would like to send you the AST and guarantor forms to check but cannot send them via this website. How can I send these to you?

When I send the guarantor the guarantor letter, do I need to send a copy of the AST as well?

Does the guarantor need to sign the AST prior to the tenants also?

Sorry about this, as a first time landlord I want to ensure that I am following the correct procedure and make things water tight.

Kind regards.

Catherine.

Catherine,

What I am saying is that we cannot contact eachother via telephone or letter or by any other means that the website cannot monitor. It's the conditions of the site.

If you can attach a copy of the ast in reply to this thread (and I believe that you can) I will have a look at it.

These documents, particulaly those supplied by the NLA are in standard-form though and it will doubtless be fine for your purposes.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will continue to answer your follow up questions.

Kind regards,

TOm

Hi Tom,

I have completed the AST and it has all of my contact details.

Is this information just be viewable by you, as I do not wish to have other members of this site viewing my thread?

Many thanks.

Catherine.

Hi Tom,

Also when I send the guarantor the guarantor letter, do I need to send a copy of the AST as well?

Thanks.

Catherine.

It will be viewable by other persons. I would place post-its over your personal details before scanning.

Yes, you should send a copy of the AST with the letter and refer to this being the agreement that the guarantor is guaranteeing.

You should ask the guarantor to also sign the AST.

Please rate my answer. I will continue to answer your follow up questions.

Kind regards

Tom
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer